Home World 12 Killed and at least 31 Injured in an Islamic State Attack on a Ministry in Kabul

12 Killed and at least 31 Injured in an Islamic State Attack on a Ministry in Kabul

World 2018/06/14 at 12:00 AM
Share

At least 12 people were killed and 31 wounded on Monday in a suicide attack targeting employees who were leaving the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development in Kabul, officials told EFE.

The spokesperson of the Afghan ministry of public health, Wahidullah Majroh, confirmed to EFE the number of victims, who have been taken to hospitals in the city.



According to Kabul police spokesperson Hashmat Stanekzai, a suicide attacker blew himself up at 1.00 pm local time at the entrance of the ministry in the western part of the capital.

The Islamic State terror organization claimed the attack through its Amaq news agency.

The agency identified the suicide bomber as “Sheikh Radwan” and said he detonated an explosives-laden belt at the entrance of the ministry in Kabul.The attack comes a day before a ceasefire declared by the government is due to begin and three days before another declared by the Taliban on the occasion of Eid al-fitr celebrations that mark the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

This is the first ceasefire during the 17 years of conflict since the invasion of the country by the United States.

Kabul has been the target of multiple suicide attacks so far this year.

The bloodiest was in January when the Taliban detonated an ambulance bomb near the old interior ministry building, which still houses some government offices, leaving more than 100 people dead.

Share this | Tags:
Source : | Photo credit :
If you liked the article, you can subscribe to our Facebook and Twitter pages or use our RSS feed channel to avoid missing anything interesting from Dubai Today

Comment with Facebook