Fifteen people have died in an Islamist attack on an upmarket hotel complex in Nairobi, Kenyan police sources said Wednesday, as fresh explosions and gunfire rang out in the siege which stretched into its second day, reports AFP.
Academics at Birmingham University voted today to boycott its new campus in Dubai in protest at the jailing of…191 Views | the publication reaches you by | Dubai Today
At least one suicide bomber blew himself up at the hotel while gunmen sprayed fire before engaging security forces and holing themselves up at the premises as civilians fled or barricaded themselves in their offices awaiting rescue.
Among the dead was an American citizen, a State Department official said.
A second police source confirmed the toll but warned “there are areas not yet accessed but that’s what we know so far.”
After 12 hours trapped inside the complex, a group of dozens of people was freed at 3:30am (0030INGGMT), according to an AFP journalist at the scene, followed by fresh gunfire and a detonation.
“We still believe there are two or three attackers in specific locations,” the first police officer said. “The situation is far from over.”
The second police officer said that at one point they had been sure the attackers had been neutralised after a long period without shooting, however gunfire resumed again after 2am.
Do you have information you want to reach our readers?
The global freelancing market is set to grow $20bn by 2020. Where does the market stand here in…