Saudi air defences intercepted a missile fired by Yemeni rebels at the kingdom’s southern city of Najran on Saturday, the Saudi-led coalition fighting the rebels said, adding that one person was wounded.
Academics at Birmingham University voted today to boycott its new campus in Dubai in protest at the jailing of…133 Views | the publication reaches you by | Dubai Today
“It was successfully intercepted and the debris fell on residential areas, lightly wounding one Indian expatriate.”
Yemen’s Saba news agency, run by the Iran-backed Houthi rebels, said the missile had been fired at a Saudi National Guard base in Najran, just over the border from Yemen where the Saudi-led coalition intervened on the side of the government in March 2015.
The coalition spokesman again hit out at Iran after Saturday’s attack, accusing it of “jeopardising the security of Saudi Arabia, the region and the whole world.”
The UN Security Council this week condemned “in the strongest possible terms” multiple missile attacks launched by the Houthis on Saudi territory, saying they posed a threat to regional security.
In one of the biggest such attacks yet, Saudi forces last weekend said they intercepted seven missiles fired by rebels toward cities including Riyadh, killing one person.
Riyadh has accused arch-rival Tehran of providing the missiles and threatened retaliation against Iran.
Tehran has denied making any arms deliveries and has said the Saudi accusations are a smokescreen intended to divert attention from its deadly bombing campaign against rebel-held areas, including Sanaa.
Civilian casualties from coalition air strikes have drawn criticism from human rights groups, and in October the United Nations placed the coalition on a blacklist for killing and maiming children.
Do you have information you want to reach our readers?
The global freelancing market is set to grow $20bn by 2020. Where does the market stand here in…