US orders 1,000 more troops to the Middle East amid growing tensions

      Published on Thursday, 20 June , 2019      229 Views     
US orders 1,000 more troops to the Middle East amid growing tensions


The Trump administration will send about 1,000 more American troops to the Middle East as tensions between the US and Iran continue to rise.

“I have authorized approximately 1,000 additional troops for defensive purposes to address air, naval, and ground-based threats in the Middle East,” Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said in a statement Monday evening. He offered no details on where the troops would be deployed or what their missions might be.



The US has accused the Iranians of being behind attacks on two tankers in the Gulf of Oman last week. The Tehran government has denied any involvement in the episode.

“The recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behavior by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region,” Shanahan said.

“The United States does not seek conflict with Iran. The action today is being taken to ensure the safety and welfare of our military personnel working throughout the region and to protect our national interests,” he added.

Earlier Monday, the Pentagon released new photos and a timeline that it said bolstered US accusations that Iran was responsible for the attacks in the Gulf of Oman.

President Donald Trump said last week that “Iran did it,” and UK officials said it was “almost certain” that Tehran was behind the attacks.

A Navy explosives expert, who is not part of the US investigation, told reporters that while the explosive only damaged the tanker Kokuka Courageous, he cannot infer what the attackers intended to accomplish.

“Iran is responsible for the attack based on video evidence and the resources and proficiency needed to quickly remove the unexploded limpet mine,” according to a statement accompanying the photos.

The Pentagon took the unusual step of identifying the source of the imagery — in this case a Navy MH-60R surveillance helicopter that can fly and hover as it gathers imagery at lower altitudes than drones or P-8 maritime patrol craft.



United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for an independent investigation of the attacks because “it is very important to know the truth,” a statement that has won support from other nations.

Keywords:
Category World | 2019/06/20 latest update at 7:00 PM
Source : Arabian Business | Photocredit : Google
230 Views
Comments Add comment



Gulf Media

Related Articles

The editorial staff of Dubai Today would like to give all of its readers from Gulf and Dubai and the whole world the opportunity to participate actively in the development of the website! If you have something interesting, fun, scandalous - just something worth to be seen from more people. Capture it and share it in the Dubai Today with a short text.

Do you have information you want to reach our readers?

Send article/s

You can subscribe to our Facebook, Twitter and Google pages or use our RSS feed channel to always read the most important news about Dubai, the Gulf and the world.


Plans withdrawn for Dubai ruler’s new lodge at Inverinate Emir

Plans withdrawn for Dubai ruler’s new lodge at Inverinate

Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid al-Maktoum owns Inverinate Estate and its existing properties in Kyle of Lochalsh. The new…

Dubai ruler Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum turns 70 today Emir

Dubai ruler Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum turns 70 today

His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler…

GULF TV

Popular in GULF TV

الطوارئ والأزمات يؤكد سلامة المرافق في ابوظبي

1159 Views

الطوارئ والأزمات يؤكد سلامة المرافق في ابوظبي

Latest videos in GULF TV

Events

Lifestyle

Culture

Sport

Science & Technology

Government